When I think of recipes that call for beer, I usually think of something unhealthy. My brain naturally associates cooking with beer to the pub scene – burgers, beer cheese dip, beer-battered anything ect. But, that’s not the way it has to be! If you’ve read any of my “Beer Chef” posts, than you know I am always looking for something a little bit different. I was pleasantly surprised when I came across a recipe for salad dressing made with beer from Women’s Health. I’d never heard of such a thing. Finally! I found this recipe for Arugula Salad with Sweet and Sour Beer Dressing.
Ingredients: (Makes 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp. tamarind paste – You can find this at Indian and Asian Markets or the international foods section of your supermarket (TIP: If you can’t get hold of tamarind paste, you can use 1/4 cup of orange juice mixed with 2 tbsp. of lime juice as a substitute.)
- 1/2 cup fruit flavored beer – this recipe recommends using raspberry or cherry flavored (TIP: If you’re making this recipe in the summer, there should be plenty of fruit beers available. However, if you’re not sure what to get, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is always a safe option.)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 3 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- Salt – to taste
- In a bowl, pour 1/2 cup boiling water over tamarind paste and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Place mixture in a blender with the beer, brown sugar, fennel seeds, coriander, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Process until smooth.
- In a dry skillet, toast pecans for 2 minutes stirring often (TIP: Don’t turn your burner on past medium-heat because the nuts will burn quickly!)
- In a large bowl, combine aruguila, spinach and bell pepper.
- Divide salad among 4 plates and top with egg slices, feta cheese and toasted pecans.
- Drizzle the beer dressing on top.
- 290 calories per serving
- 20 grams of fat (6 grams saturated fat)
- 16 grams carbohydrates
- 410 miligrams sodium
- 3 grams fiber
- 12 grams protein