Let’s face it; food is almost as important as the game on Super Bowl Sunday. We all know the staples – wings, subs, chips and dip, crackers and cheese, pigs in a blanket etc. I wanted to try something different this year, so I searched the web for some ideas. I came a cross a fairly easy recipe for homemade beer bread from Short Stop Blog and thought, why not make bite-sized grilled cheese sandwiches using homemade beer bread for the big game this year!
Ingredients for Beer Bread (Makes 1 loaf):
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer ( I think dark beer works best, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Cooking Directions Beer Bread:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 5″ x 9″ loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add beer and mix until combined (Dough will be sticky).
- Place dough into loaf pan.
- Pour melted butter over top of loaf.
- Bake , uncovered, for 50 – 60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from center.
Ingredients (Grilled Cheese):
- Butter, softened
- Cheese, sliced or shredded (You can use any cheese that you want; I used sharp cheddar)
- Homemade beer bread
- Slice your beer bread. (Tip: Make sure the slices aren’t too thick, but not so thin that it will crumble.
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread and place buttered side down on a cookie sheet.
- Toast the bread for about 3 minutes.
- Place cheese on top of one slice of bread and cover with other slice, butter side up.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Bake 6 – 8 minutes.
- Flip over and bake for about 3 – 4 more minutes or until cheese is melted. (The cooking time may vary depending on your oven, the thickness of your bread and the cheese you use.)