After I stuff myself with corned beef and cabbage this St. Patrick’s Day, I know I will be in search of something sweet. What better way to continue the celebration than to continue in the Irish tradition with this mouthwatering recipe for Guinness Chocolate Cake with Irish Buttercream from Pretty Plain Janes. Yum!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder (Hersheys Special Dark)
- 2 tbsp. espresso powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 9 oz. Guinness beer
- 4 sticks of butter, at room temp
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. Irish Cream (Homemade or Bailey’s)
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit, and grease three 8″ cake pans and line them with parchment paper.
- In your mixing bowl, cream together vegetable oil and sugar until just combined.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and yogurt, mixing until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, and then add in the beer.
- Mix on medium-high for 3 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly between three cake pans, and bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
- Make the frosting by combining the butter and powdered sugar in your mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, and then add in the Irish Cream.
- Once cake layers have completely cooled, add frosting between each and top with chocolate shavings if desired.