I love my beer, but when it is 90 degrees and humid, I just want something frozen and fruity. It turns out, you can have the best of both worlds. This Honeydew Hefeweizen Smoothie from Family Cooking Online does just that by combining a classic summer brew – hefeweizen – with seasonal honeydew. Yum!
Ingredients (Makes 4 Smoothies):
- 1/2 of a Honeydew Melon
- 3 and 1/3 Cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 Cup Hefeweizen (Wheat Beer)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Fun Straws (optional)
- Small and Thin Honeydew Slices for Garnish (optional)
- Cut the honeydew in half and then remove and discard the seeds using a metal spoon.
- Wrap up the other half of the melon and put it in the refrigerator to eat at your convenience.
- Cut the honeydew into 2 inch thick slices and then peel the outer skin off of each slice. (Tip: It is better to cut them into long slices before peeling because they are easier to hold and peel that way than when they are still in a giant awkward half-sphere.)
- Once all of the slices are peeled, cut the honeydew melon into roughly 2 x 3 inch chunks.
- Place half of the pieces in the freezer, and the other half in the refrigerator.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Remove the honeydew pieces from the freezer and refrigerator and toss them together in a bowl so they are evenly distributed.
- Place half of the the melon pieces into a blender with half of the other ingredients. Put the lid on the blender and blend on high until the mixture is completely blended, about 45 seconds. (Note: If you have a large food processor you can blend everything at once. If you are using a smaller blender, you’ll need to split everything in half and blend twice.)
- Pour the mixture into glasses, then repeat for second half of ingredients if necessary.
- Serve immediately with fun straws and a small slices of fresh honeydew, if desired.