I feel like it’s too hot to do anything, especially cook! You can still eat a nutritious, home-cooked meal without wearing yourself out or heating up the house. These tasty Meatballs in Beer Sauce from Baking Powders are the perfect meal for those steamy summer nights.
- 1 lb. ground meat of your choice, chicken, turkey, beef, pork, soy etc.
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs, regular or Italian seasoned
- Herbs of your choice (if your bread crumbs have herbs you won’t need them)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Olive oil
- 1/4 lb. of mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. light cream or milk
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups beer of your choice (Corona, IPA, and lagers work great)
- Allow ground meat to get to room temperature.
- Saute onion on low heat until tender.
- Add mushrooms and let them cook until they’ve released all the water.
- Combine ground meat, egg, bread crumbs and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. (Tip: If your meat are too sticky, add a bit more bread crumbs.)
- Make ping pong-sized balls.
- Once the onions and mushrooms are done, slightly fry your meatballs until they are seared. (Tip: This prevents the meatballs from falling apart once you add the liquid.)
- Add about 1/2 cup of beer or about about 3/4 cups of light beer, such as Corona.
- Add one cup of water or of chicken broth and about 2 tablespoons of milk or light cream.
- Let the meatballs cook at low heat until tender. (Tip: If the liquid evaporates too fast, just add more water or chicken broth.)