I used to love Potatoes Au Gratin as a kid and had long forgotten about this yummy dish until I began perusing recipes that utilize beer. Potato Gratin a la Flamande from from One Perfect Bite brings me back to my childhood with added sophistication.
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings):
- 1 8-ounce yellow onion, halved, then finely sliced
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flat beer (Amber)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, coarsely ground
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
- Preheat oven at 425° F.
- Spray bottom and sides of a deep baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Alternate layers of onions and potatoes in casserole; first layer should be onions, last layer should be potatoes.
- Lightly salt and pepper layers as their built.
- Combine beer and brown sugar in a small bowl and pour over potatoes.
- Dot top of potatoes with butter.
- Cover dish and place in oven.
- After 10 minutes reduce oven thermostat to 375° F.
- Bake, covered, for 40 minutes longer.
- Remove cover, pour cream over potatoes and bake until golden brown for about 15 more minutes.
- Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parsley if using.