Autumn is in full swing and I want take advantage of all the fresh, local produce before it’s too late. I’ve been wanting to make stuffed peppers for some time and have been anxiously waiting for cool fall nights so I can use the oven. I’ve seen a ton of recipes for traditional stuffed peppers with rice and beef. But, I’ve been saving my carbs for beer, so I decided to go a different route and created my own recipe – Drunken Southwestern Stuffed Peppers. I love everything about this dish from the colorful bell peppers, tomatoes and corn to the full flavor with just the right amount of spiciness. I will definitely be adding this to my cookbook!
Ingredients (Makes 4 servings):
- 4 Bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 10 oz. package frozen sweet corn
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup beer (I used a a Golden Ale, but you can use whatever you have on hand.)
- Taco Seasoning to taste (I used Trader Joe’s, which is a bit spicy if you add too much, but it complemented the peppers really well.)
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
- In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt.
- When the turkey is browned, add 1/3 cup beer, onion, garlic, black beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning .
- Mix well, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes or until liquid has reduced.
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem. (Tip: It is much easier to remove the membrane and seeds by cutting the peppers this way instead of cutting off the tops. Plus, I think it looks nicer!)
- Spray oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place peppers in dish and fill each pepper with filling.
- Pour remaining 1/3 beer on the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 45-60 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
- Remove foil and top each pepper with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad.