I’ve been obsessed with crepes lately. I was recently at one of my favorite breakfast spots and saw a crepe dish on the menu with a Cherry Kijafa (cherry wine with sugar beet alcohol from Denmark) sauce. If you can use wine for a crepe dish, why not beer? I immediately started scouring the Internet for a recipe and found Brown Ale Crepes with Cranberry-Orange Lager Sauce on New Food and Beer. Beer works well in many dough and batters, so I think this will work well. I’ll probably make the crepes without the sauce or filling the first time around to see how beer will affect delicate crepes.
Ingredients (Makes 10 crepes):
For the Crepes:
- 12 ounces brown ale
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup lager beer
- 12 ounces cranberries
For the Crepe Filling:
- 3 pounds whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, make the sauce by whisking together sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and lager until blended.
- Add cranberries.
- Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly and cranberries pop.
- If serving immediately, keep warm; or cool, cover and and refrigerate up to 4 days.
- In a large bowl, make crepes by whisking together brown ale, milk, eggs, sugar and butter until well blended.
- Whisk in flour and salt until batter is smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes, and let batter rest 20 minutes.
- Preheat 8 or 9-inch non-stick crepe pan or skillet over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, remove from heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add 1/4 cup batter to pan and tilt pan to spread batter into 7-inch round.
- Return skillet to heat and lightly brown crepe about 45 seconds., or until edges start to curl.
- Turn crepe over and cook 30 to 45 seconds, until lightly browned.
- Transfer to plate.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make 20 crepes. (Tip: Crepes can be made several days ahead, stacked between layer so waxed or parchment paper, covered and refrigerated.)
For the Filling
- Combine together in a large bowl ricotta cheese, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Stir well to blend. (Tip: Filling can be made several days ahead, covered and refrigerated.)
- Preheat over to 350° Fahrenheit.
- With cooking spray, lightly coat 2 shallow baking dishes.
- Place 2 rounded tablespoons full of filling in the center of each crepe in a 3-inch long mound. Fold two opposite edges of crepe over the top of filling, then fold in remaining edges forming a packet.
- Place crepes in baking dish; bake 15 minutes, or until heated throughout and slightly crisp.
- Top with Cranberry-Orange Lager Sauce.