Let’s face it; food is almost as important as the game on Super Bowl Sunday. We all know the staples – wings, subs, chips and dip, crackers and cheese, pigs in a blanket etc. I wanted to try something different this year, so I searched the web for some ideas. I came a cross a fairly easy recipe for homemade beer bread from Short Stop Blog and thought, why not make bite-sized grilled cheese sandwiches using homemade beer bread for the big game this year!
Ingredients for Beer Bread (Makes 1 loaf):
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer ( I think dark beer works best, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Cooking Directions Beer Bread:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 5″ x 9″ loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add beer and mix until combined (Dough will be sticky).
- Place dough into loaf pan.
- Pour melted butter over top of loaf.
- Bake , uncovered, for 50 – 60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from center.
Ingredients (Grilled Cheese):
- Butter, softened
- Cheese, sliced or shredded (You can use any cheese that you want; I used sharp cheddar)
- Homemade beer bread
Cooking Directions (Grilled Cheese):
- Slice your beer bread. (Tip: Make sure the slices aren’t too thick, but not so thin that it will crumble.
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread and place buttered side down on a cookie sheet.
- Toast the bread for about 3 minutes.
- Place cheese on top of one slice of bread and cover with other slice, butter side up.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Bake 6 – 8 minutes.
- Flip over and bake for about 3 – 4 more minutes or until cheese is melted. (The cooking time may vary depending on your oven, the thickness of your bread and the cheese you use.)
Super Bowl Sunday is more than just the big game. I always see it as an opportunity to get together with friends, drink good beer and eat some yummy snacks of course. After eating traditional Super Bowl snacks like chips, pretzels and peanuts I always crave something sweet. This recipe for Beer, Chocolate, Peanut and Pretzel Cookies from Heather Christo combines all of these delicious flavors in to one delicious treat in a short amount of time and few easy steps.
Preparation time: 10 mins.
Cooking time: 12 mins
Ingredients (Makes about two dozen cookies):
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup beer (This recipe uses Guinness, but I think Young’s Double Chocolate Stout sounds like it would work well!)
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups peanut M&Ms
- 1 ½ cups pretzel M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Prepare sheet pans with silpats or parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar with an electric mixer until soft and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until fully mixed together.
- Mix the beer in.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients and then add them to the batter.
- Gently mix in the M&Ms.
- Scoop the cookies onto the prepared sheet pans and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crispy and slightly under-baked.
- Let the cookies cool before removing them from the pan.
It’s January and you know what that means… SUPER BOWL! This year, I wanted to make something that tastes great, can feed a large group of people and is great for left overs. The extreme cold weather we’ve been having over the last few weeks has helped me to make my decision – chili of course! I’ve only used the recipe below for family dinners, but it can also be used as an appetizer for your Super Bowl party this year. Set up a topping bar and you have a snack fit for an MVP!
Ingredients (Serves 6 – 8 people):
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper (diced)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper (diced)
- 1 shallot (diced)
- 1 bulb of garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) white beans (strained)
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) pinto beans (strained)
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) red kidney beans (strained)
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can oven roasted tomatoes
- 12 oz. beer (You can use any beer you have on hand, but wheat beers, stouts and porters seem to work well)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream (1.5 lbs.)
- Scallions (for garnish)
- In a large skillet, brown chopped ground beef.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tsp. olive oil over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add green pepper, shallot and jalapeno.
- Strain ground beef and add to sauté pan. Stir thoroughly.
- Add beans, tomato paste, roasted tomatoes and garlic powder. Stir.
- Add beer.
- Transfer contents to crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3 hours and then set to low for another 2 hours.
- Spoon chili into bowls.
- Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions for garnish.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread or tortilla chips.
As I write these posts each week, I am intrigued by the amount of celebrities photographed drinking craft beer. Finally!
Personally, I’m a fan of Charlize Theron. I think she is gorgeous and was really happy when I came across a post on the Brookston Beer Bulletin. Theron can be seen carrying a case of Dogfish Head to a Super Bowl party in 2012. Click here to read the full post.
Theron was seen carrying a case of some good craft beer. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, it’s obvious that she is not carrying a full case of beer. Maybe the liquor store just gave her whatever cardboard box was available. But, since I am a fan of both Theron and the beer she is drinking, I’m going to tell myself that Theron is indeed drinking beer brewed by Dogfish Head
Regardless, the photo was published in the United Kingdom’s Daily Mail and brought much deserved media attention to Dogfish Head.
Charlize Theron was born on August 7, 1975 in Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa. She is most known for her role in Monster, where she plays Aileen Wuornos, a Florida prostitute turned serial killer. Theron gained about 30 pounds for the role, which earned the actress an Academy Award for a Leading Role. She is known for her philanthropic efforts- read about them here.