Memorial Day is finally here and I can’t wait to kick off the summer with family, friends, good food and most importantly good beer! I attend at least one BBQ every Memorial Day weekend and the grub is usually the same all around. I always have my fill of burgers and dogs, but it’s nice to see some other options. Mix things up this year by making German Potato Salad with Beer Dressing from Recipe 4 Living; it’s familiar yet something you won’t find in every backyard.
- 10 small red potatoes
- 12 slices bacon (This seems like a lot of bacon; I’ll probably only use 6 strips when I make this).
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Peel and cube potatoes and boil until tender; drain.
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain well to remove excess grease.
- Crumble bacon, and mix with onion, celery, and salt.
- Set aside.
- Stir butter and flour in a small saucepan to make a roux.
- Add mustard and sugar.
- Slowly stir in beer and hot sauce.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Pour over potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Toss lightly and let stand 1 hour.
- Add bacon mixture, toss gently.